We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Weekly Roadtrip 2011 #3: 6/3/11-6/5/11 Chicago! (With added Monday adventuring!)

This week's Weekly Roadtrip was a much needed weekend adventure back to Chicago. For those in the know, you know why I haven't been back more recently, and for those not in the know, well, there's a reason you don't know why I was staying away from Chicago for awhile.

Anyway, my reason for going back to Chicago was a two-fold adventure. I hadn't seen Chad in quite some time, so I wanted to spend some time with him, and I wanted to go to the Printer's Row Lit Fest.

Chad and I had a really good time. We rented a couple of movies to watch on Friday night after he got out of work and went to see the new X-Men movie on Saturday night after he got out of work. He gave me my bday present and it's fabulous. I'll have to get a pic of it to show off. Really, it was an awesome time hanging out with him.

The Lit Fest was a great time, too. I sat in on a discussion with Colm Tóibín and got his book, Brooklyn, signed. I also ran into Meg Waite Clayton and Kelly O'Connor McNees, so that was an added bonus!

After the Lit Fest on Saturday, I wandered around downtown. I found an Art Festival and headed down to the TDS on Michigan. I had lunch at one of my favorite restaurants, Bella Bacino's, before wandering over to Millennium Park. A storm was brewing over the Lake, so I headed for Macy's and Borders to keep out of the rain. I seriously haven't walked that much in ages!!

Sunday Chad had to work, so I got to hang out with Mandy K for most of the day. We hadn't seen each other in months either, so we spent the entire morning and early afternoon talking and catching up and being our usual catty selves until it was time to drop me off at the train station. We made a quit stop into TDS so I could drop my keys back off to Chad and to give him a quick hug on my out of town.

Overall, this was one fantastic trip to Chicago! =)





As an extra added bonus, Mary Doria Russell was speaking at Nicola's Books the Monday evening ater I got back, so Sarah and Brad and I drove over there to see her. She was discussing her new book, Doc (about Doc Holiday), and signing after the discussion. Sarah was thrilled to meet her, and had almost every book she's written with her to sign. I picked up The Sparrow and Dreamers of the Day to sign. I'll post my reviews here as I get them read.

Distance traveled: 230 miles
Bonus trip distance traveled: 70 miles
Total Adventure miles traveled: 435 miles

No comments: