We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

No weekly Roadtrip this past weekend!

I decided to take a weekend off this past weekend from my Weekly Roadtrip adventuring. It's been fun, but I've been busy most nights during the week as well, and just needed a break!

Besides, there was a YA author event at my local bookstore on Saturday that I didn't want to miss. Schuler Books was hosting the Dark Days of Supernatural Tour, with four YA authors in attendance. All in all, I have had the extraordinary luck of meeting a wide range of authors over the last couple of weeks! Who I've met in the last 10 days:

Courtney Allison Moulton - Author of Angelfire, her debut book and part of a YA paranormal trilogy.
Leah Clifford - Author of A Touch Mortal, her debut book and part of a YA paranormal trilogy.
Aimée Carter - Author of The Goddess Test, her debut book and part of a YA paranormal/mythology trilogy.
Lisa Desrochers - Author of Personal Demons, her debut book and part of a YA paranormal trilogy. (Seeing a running theme yet? These four authors were all part of a single YA tour.)
Colm Tóibín - Author of Brooklyn, amongst many others.
Meg Waite Clayton - Author of The Language of Light, The Wednesday Sisters and The Four Ms. Bradwells, which are all favorites of mine.
Kelly O'Connor McNees - Author of The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott, her debut book, which just came out in paperback. (I attended the Printer's Row Lit Fest in Chicago last weekend, where I sat in on a discussion with Colm Toibin and ran into Meg and Kelly, who were also attending the discussion.)
Mary Doria Russell - Discussing her new book, Doc, at one of my local indie bookstores. I actually didn't pick Doc up, but got a copy of The Sparrow and Dreamers of the Day instead.
Veronica Roth - Author of Divergent, her debut book and part of a new YA dystopian trilogy.
Josephine Angelini - Author of Starcrossed, her debut book and part of a new YA paranormal trilogy.
Aprilynne Pike - Author of the Wings series.
Ellen Schreiber - Author of the Vampire Kisses series. (Again, these last four were all part of another YA tour.
Needless to say, I've been thrilled with all the authors I've been able to meet. And I've said it once, and I'll say it again, authors are some of the most gracious people you'll ever meet. They are so friendly and easy to talk to and really seem to appreciate each and every person who comes to meet them, and I feel lucky and blessed to personally know so many great authors! People, keep up the good work.

So, there it is. A weekend off, but I'm picking right up again this coming weekend. I'm heading back over to Brighton to meet up with V. He and I are going to the movies and to dinner, so that should be a good time. And, to make up for no trip last weekend, I did go to Flint last night to have dinner with Kristin, Lara, Jonathan and Olivia and that was a loverly time. Olivia is such a doll! i'm completely infatuated with that child. =)

Until next time, happy adventuring!

No comments: