We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's a new year, time for some new goals

OK, so it's a little late in the year to be making resolutions, or goals; I like goals better, resolutions just sound so final and I know my life is not like that. At all. Never has been, never will be. I wish there were absolutes with me, but I simply don't operate that way. So, here are the things that I want to work on this year. I'm hoping that if I get them down so that I can refer back to them at the end of the year, I can see if I actually made any progress or not. Self, pay attention now:

  • Be happier. Quit focusing on the negative and really pay attention to the positive. Be spontaneous. Be the type of person that you want to hang out with.
  • Take better care of yourself. This is easy, as you've already started doing this, but do it better this year. Remember the goal you set yourself for your birthday? You may be a little behind, but it's still attainable. You've still got 2 1/2 months!
  • Treat yourself better. This is easy too! And totally achievable. Learn how to say no. Learn how to take care of yourself the way you take care of others. Be forceful about it when you need to be. Put your foot down. Say no. People will survive, and they won't leave you.
  • Force creativity. After awhile, you won't have to force it anymore.
  • Let it go and move on. It's never going to happen. You know of what I speak. But DON'T DON'T DON'T let this make you feel worthless. You know this is a slippery slope for you, but YOU ARE NOT WORTHLESS. No matter how many times this will happen to you, you are NOT worthless.
  • Be content with your life. It's OK that things aren't working out the way you expected them to by now. It's just a little hiccup in the larger scheme of things. Also know where things are going is going to help you make this adjustment easier.
  • Clean out crap! Scale back. There is so much that is drowning you in physical possessions that you don't even pay attention to anymore. Less is more, and will make you feel better not being tied down to some much stuff.
  • Be the friend that you really want to be. Keep in touch, and not just through the computer. See people, face to face. You'll feel better, and so will they.
So, there, that's the list for now. There's the other little stuff: read more, see more movies, blah blah blah, but that list comprises the things that I simply must work on this year. I'm in a rut and that isn't good. I'm tired of being me, and that's even worse. I should really like the person that I am since I don't think I'm really all that bad of a guy, but circumstances being what they are have left me feeling less than worthy lately, and the only person that is going to be able to change that for me is me. So let's start trying. Right now. Self, are you listening? I hope so.

No comments: