We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

At the movies: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

Movie: The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Rating: 4/5 stars

I went to see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus last night, and I really enjoyed it. Really, I did. However, I did leave the theater with a slightly not-entirely-satisfied feeling, and I honestly can't put a finger on what I felt was lacking in the movie, but something just didn't quite entirely click for me. I almost feel that part of it had to do with the incredible piece of music that was used in the trailer that was not subsequently used in the movie. That irritates me. Especially when the music that is used in the movie doesn't quite live up to the expectations set forth in the trailer. The music in a movie is one of the most important things for me since it can really complete a scene, and the while the music in Parnassus was good, it didn't live up to the music in the trailer. Alas. Even so, the film was very clever and visually stunning! Of course, the big question on my mind going into the movie was how were they going to work Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law into the film, as they came in to finish Heath Ledger's role since he died while they were filming the movie. I don't want to give away how they worked the other 3 into the film, but it was well done. Of course, this may have also been part of what made me feel not-so-satisfied, as I kept looking out for their inclusion, and quite frankly just the knowledge that they were in the movie finishing Ledger's role was a little distracting. I kept finding myself trying to see where they had to use doubles for Ledger and whatnot, so didn't find myself entirely immersed in the film as a result of that, either. All in all, I really did enjoy the movie and I think I'd like to go see it again.

For more information on the movie, visit the official website here.

No comments: