We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Monday, September 29, 2008

What the...?! When did I piss the universe off?

I want to know when I pissed off the universe so bad that it felt the need to intervene with my weekend on a consistent basis.

It started off with Jamie Lee Curtis (hence JLC) on Friday night. I had received an email from HarperCollins saying that she was going to be at the Borders in Ann Arbor, so S and I drove over there after I got out of work. I was supposed to be picking up C at the train station, but I called him and asked if he could get his mom to get him so that I could go meet JLC. Well, long story short, S and I got to Ann Arbor only to be told that we needed wristbands to get into the event that had been handed out that morning. I told the woman that we had driven an hour an a half and that nothing in the emails that I had received said anything about wristbands, and she said that I should have called because the emails came from HarperCollins and not from Borders, so how would HarperCollins know what the bookstore was doing. She then said I had the option of watching the event on a big screen TV in the corner of the store. They wouldn't even let me in to get my book signed. This didn't help my attitude at all. I stormed out of the store after a few choice words for the woman, and S and I went to a "little" used book store instead and then to Zingerman's Deli for dinner. After getting back into Lansing, I stopped by C's mom's house and picked him up and went back to the apartment and visited with him for awhile before going to bed.

The next morning, C and I went back to his mom's house to get his camera back from his brother, had lunch, ran some errands and ended up back at my place. I decided to double check directions to the venue for the Janet Jackson concert that night, only to discover that the concert had been postponed for no apparent reason listed other than "production constraints." Now, this was the whole reason that C had come into town for the weekend. To say that he was annoyed is an understatement, but I think he dealt with it a little bit better than I did being turned away from JLC.

So... we decided to go to the movies instead and saw Igor. It was a fun little movie, but C got a lot more amusement about the trailer for Disney's Beverly Hills Chihuahua. The trailer opens with JLC telling her dog that she'll do anything the dog wants, except JLC is like 40 feet tall on the screen and looking right in the camera, as if she's taunting me. C thought this was HYSTERICAL!

ha.
ha.
ha.

I'm glad C got such amusement over this, because later on after we had a loverly dinner at Bravo!, we went to Spiral for a few drinks, and the first song they play after we sit down is a Janet song. Oh, the irony! Oh, the karma!

Well, needless to say, we did have a decent weekend and had fun, even though nothing went the way it was supposed to. I took C back to the train station yesterday morning, and we'll just try this all over again at the end of October when I go back to Chicago to see Madonna and then we'll try Janet Jackson again 2 days later back here in Detroit.

S and I did end up going to the antiquarian book show yesterday and I found a copy of Stephen King's YA fantasy novel, The Eyes of the Dragon, so that was a nice surprise, given it's been years since I've bought anything at the show. I got together with the Gang last night for Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters, which was a fun time, too. B and I are going to the new place tonight to check it out and see what cleaning needs to be done before we start moving in.

I'd certainly like to know what I did to the universe to piss it off so bad that it had to retaliate against my weekend. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but as soon as I figure it out, I'll fill you in.

No comments: