We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Friday, July 27, 2007

www.LibraryThing.com

I forgot to mention this last week, but awhile ago, S introduced me to www.LibraryThing.com. It's MySpace for literary types. Basically, you catalog the books you own, you can connect with other people who own the same books, you can review the books you own, and you can take part in online discussion groups on the books you are currently reading. It's a fun little website to wile away the hours when the local B&N is closed because the cat woke you up in the middle of the night (but that's another post of it's own).

Well, I've been keeping track of their blog these last couple of weeks, as there always seems to be something interesting being discussed, and about 2 weeks back, they announced that they were going to try a second run at an early reviewer program that they set up with Random House. As I understand it, Random House gives them so many copies of a selection of books that they will be publishing over the next few months, and LibraryThing passes them on to their members. The July selection included the new book Tipperary by Frank Delaney, whose book Ireland I enjoyed on my trip to Dublin last year to visit S. Well, long story short, I was selected as one of the early reviewers for Tipperary, and should receive my copy in the mail any time now! A full review will be coming as soon as I receive and finish reading my copy.

No comments: