We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Calligraphy Class = Disappointment

Had my first session of Calligraphy last night, and to be quite honest, I am exceedingly disappointed in the class. The instructor has been doing calligraphy for over 20 years, and unfortunately falls into the type of teaching category where the instructor has done something for so long and her field has become second nature to her... well, obviously, the class should just be able to catch on in no time, with no actual instruction involved. Something is easy for her, so therefore it should be easy to anyone.

Thankfully, I only paid $25 for this class, and as I may not go to the last session, I don't feel like I'll be wasting that much money. She showed us a book that she picked up at Michael's for $10, and announced that everything we would ever need to know about calligraphy we can get from this book, so I may just go pick up the book and see what I can glean from that this weekend and then I'll determine if I need to go back to the final session next week. I was really looking to this class, and the fact that I left there feeling like I hadn't learned anything that I couldn't have discovered on my own is discouraging.

**sigh**

No comments: