We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Sunday, March 2, 2014

2 III 2014

I try very hard to stay positive these days. There is so much going right in my life right now, and I honestly don't feel discouraged by much of anything these days, but after last week's debacle at work, I've been feeling a little shitty, not going to lie. Cut to yesterday and Mandy coming into town totally changed my attitude! I was so thrilled to hear she was coming back 3 days earlier, I didn't think anything was going to bring me down.

Then I talked to my uncle.

I've been lusting over this beautiful drafting table at World Market for months now, and Mandy stepped up and decided that I needed to have this for my birthday present, so she got together with my mom, dad, and uncle, and between the 4 of them, put together enough money to get not only the table but some art supplies, as well. I couldn't believe that they had all done that for me. My uncle called my mom last night and since she was at my place, we talked to him, too. I thanked him for contributing to the table and told him how excited I was about it, and there was nothing but dead silence on the other end of the line. I actually thought the call had dropped. He finally just says, "So, you think you're actually going to use this thing?" Not a you're welcome, or I'd like to see what art you'll be creating using it, but a snarky comment about whether I'll even use the damn thing. While I'll eventually channel this hurt into proving him wrong, but for right now, that comment stings. A lot. I think I'm going to ask mom and Mandy to not involve him with something like that again, because I'd rather them not have the money to get something like that again for me because they would need his money to afford it, than yo have him totally crush my excitement with one sentence.

I'm going to bed now. I'll prove him wrong when I get the desk, but for right now, I'm not quite as excited about it as I ought to be.

Sometimes, family sucks.

No comments: