We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

I know I don't usually post book reviews over here (you can always check out what I'm reading over at from my bookshelf), but seriously, this book is that good that I want to share my thoughts over here, too. The more people I get to read this book, the better!

 photo image_zps759ea98f.jpg

Title: The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Author: Neil Gaiman
Copyright: 2013
Pages: 192
ISBN: 9780062255655
Publisher: William Morrow
Author Website: www.neilgaiman.com
Twitter: @neilhimself, @WmMorrowBks
Format: Hardcover
Available: June 18, 2013
Rating: 5/5 stars

I'm not entirely sure that I would be able to do justice in describing Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane. The book is equal parts nostalgia, beauty, terror, and magic. Nostalgia for a simpler time when magic was all entirely too possible for a young child; the book is beautifully written, nothing forced, it just is; Gaiman's writing is capable of creating such terrifying imagery to what can scare a child, something that would not be possible in less deft hands; Gaiman has created a magic all his own for adults, by reminding us that once upon a time, our childhood selves did believe in magic, and somehow he reawakens that sense of wonder in this small volume he has crafted. It's a wonder that such a slim little book is capable of manifesting so many emotions in such a short time. This is Neil Gaiman we're speaking of, so of course it really comes as no surprise to me when I really think about it.

I think I may just leave this review, for what it's worth, at that. I mean, I could go on and on about the book, but I don't want to give anything away. The magic of the book is in letting it speak for itself, telling you its story, and letting you take it all in.

So, if I haven't made it obvious, this is a book worth reading. I know it will be topping my list of books for the year, and I know it's going to be one that I will be revisiting over and over again through the years. This book and I are going to become best friends.

Go and read it. Read it again. You won't be sorry.

Also, check out my post on the night I met Neil Gaiman for his signing of The Ocean at the End of the Lane. The man is a rock star in the writing world.

No comments: