We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Monday, August 31, 2009

Mastering the Art of French Cooking - An Adventure in the Kitchen

OK, so I went to see Julie and Julia a couple of weeks back, and now all I want to do is cook French food! I'm a freak. I'm well aware of it. You do NOT need to bring it further to my attention.

So, I picked up Mastering the Art of French Cooking the other day, and it is a daunting volume. I am determined to at least make a couple of the recipes out of the book (Julie Powell, I am not). I decided to start it extraordinarily easy, and made one of the pork marinades the other for a loin that I picked up. All I have to say is if the rest of the more complex recipes turn out as good as this rub did, then I'll be eating some damned good food in the coming months/years.

The recipe I used was the Marinade SĂȘche, or Salt Marinade with Herbs and Spices. It is a dry rub, applied to the meat before cooking. I included the optional fresh, chopped garlic and the only variation I made in the recipe was replacing the ground bay leaf with thyme. I applied the rub the night before and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I ended up slightly overcooking the loin (or so I thought!) but when I removed the roast, it was juicy, tender and delicious!

No comments: