We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Friday, January 9, 2009

Interview with Penelope Przekop

Penelope Przekop runs a blog called Aberration Nation. In her own words, her blog "is not about world peace, going green, or gay pride. It's not about healing all the ills that exist in our growing culture of materialism and instant gratification. It's about individual self-reflection and optimism. It's making lemonade out of lemons and smiling through our tears, knowing tears are part of package, and that tomorrow is a new day filled with opportunity and greater wisdom." What she's doing there is a really great thing. She takes people's aberrations, or the things that they perceive or that others perceive as being different or wrong, and cast them in a new light, showing how we can grow and take something positive away from these "aberrations."

She is also the author of the book, Aberrations. It was one of my Top 10 books read for 2008. Give it a read sometime, you won't be disappointed.

Penelope recently asked to interview me about what it is like for me being gay. To most people reading my blog, you already know me and this won't come as a surprise to you. To some it might. It is part of who I am; it's not a defining factor, but just a part. I'm honored that Penelope wanted to interview me, and I'd like everyone to stop by her blog, not just for my interview, but to read what she is doing there. If there were more people like her around who wanted to take the time to show that our differences can really be our strengths, I'd think that there would a lot less discord. Thanks, Penelope!

No comments: