We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Gift of the Season

Believe it or not, and I hardly do right now myself, I am happy.

It's been a long time since I felt really happy about life. The last few months have been such a whirlwind and while there have been many, many moments of laughter and fun and friends and family, I was beginning to feel swallowed whole. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't catch my breath. I have been so busy moving, traveling, visiting, house-sitting, dog-sitting, packing, unpacking, I was forgetting to take a moment for myself. And while I wouldn't trade any of the good times from the last several months for the world, it is a good feeling to know that I am starting to slow down again, that life will begin to fall back into some semblance of a routine.

I'll continue to travel, to go visit C in Chicago, to do things, to live life as much as I can, but I need to remember to take moments for myself, too. Moments purely for myself, selfish though it may seem, and constantly remind myself that this isn't a bad thing, nor is it truly selfish. This is my gift to myself this season; a reminder that I am worth the time taken for myself, and that I don't need someone else to qualify or quantify my self-worth.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: