We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Friday, February 15, 2008

Book Review - The Dragon Hoard

The Dragon Hoard by Tanith Lee

162 pages / 1971 / 3 stars / YA Fantasy

This was completely a nostalgia read for me. I had this book when I was a kid, and I remembered it the other night, so went hunting on eBay and found it.

It's funny how you can remember some books quite vividly and then others seem to get lost over the years. I remembered parts of this book and seemed to remember it being a bit more of a grand adventure, but that could be the impression my younger self gave the book. As an adult, it's not a bad read, but it's nothing great either.

Tanith Lee's The Dragon Hoard is your typical heroes journey. We follow the adventures of Prince Jasleth as he must find his fortune in the world after an evil relative has cursed him and his twin sister on their 17th birthday. He joins a quest to find the fabled Dragon Hoard, thereby securing his fortune if the quest is completed. Meanwhile, his evil relative will do everything in her power to make sure that the quest is not completed.

Comprised of easy plot lines, easy adventures, easy danger and easy resolutions, I can see why my adult self was just a little on the bored side with this story, while my younger self would have really enjoyed it. This would be a great read for any younger kids who are beginning to be interested in the fantasy genre.


14 / 75 books. 19% done!

No comments: