We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Monday, January 28, 2008

Book Review

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

322 pages / 1932 / 5 stars / Mystery

This is only the second book by Agatha Christie that I have read, but it cemented her as one of my favorite authors. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Murder on the Orient Express. As it is only the second of her books that I have read, I can't be sure, but I can see a pattern to Christie's writing; she seems to definitely draw from a certain formula in her writing. Even with what appears to be a predisposed pattern to her writing, these are still enjoyable reads.

Murder on the Orient Express is a Hercule Poirot mystery, one of her more colorful recurring characters. Like The Mysterious Affair at Styles, Poirot finds himself in an unexpected situation; traveling to Paris on the Orient Express, there is a murder, and Poirot is pressed into service to try to solve the mystery before the killer can escape!

There isn't much thinking involved on the reader's part; most of the clues are clearly presented, but Poirot doesn't make the connections until the end, but he clearly illustrates how the crime was committed and who did it and how he came to the conclusion.

Agatha Christie obviously enjoyed writing her books, as that enjoyment is passed directly onto the reader. 5 stars!!


8 / 75 books. 11% done!

No comments: