We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Monday, January 28, 2008

Book Review

The Translator was one of my SantaThing gifts this past year, and while this would probably not have been something that I would have picked up myself, I am thankful that my SecretSanta chose this book to send me. What a great book! I took it with me on vacation this past week, and read it on the plane.

The Translator by John Crowley

295 pages / 2003 / 5 Stars / Fiction

Told during the 1960s with the Cuban Missile Crisis as a backdrop, John Crowley has created a smart love story in The Translator. The story follows Christa, a college student who develops a relationship with one of her instructors, Falin, a Russian poet who has been exiled from his country under mysterious circumstances. Much like the translations that Christa is making for Falin of his poems, their relationship is complicated and intricate. John Crowley's prose is beautifully written and the story is well paced. An overall enjoyable book.


6 / 75 books. 8% done!

No comments: