We have to dare to be ourselves, however frightening or strange that self may prove to be. ~May Sarton

from my bookshelf

Monday, January 7, 2008

Book review

A friend of mine lent me this book, so it's not part of my library.

Peter by Kate Walker

229 pages / 1991 / 4 Stars / YA

Kate Walker's Peter is a coming-of-age story told from the first person perspective of 15 year old Peter Dawson, who starts to question his sexuality after meeting his older brother's gay friend, David. David is tall, good-looking, perfectly dressed; everything that Peter is not. Peter hides his sensitive side and his love of photography from the local boys by joining them in their dirt bike races, and is increasingly concerned by his disinterest in girls; something the other boys only ever talk about. After meeting David, Peter begins to understand that you can't be the person that other people think you should be, that you can only be the person you yourself are meant to be.

I was surprised by Kate Walker's portrayal of the confusion and sometimes self-hatred that can come with discovering your sexuality may not be the "norm." Having gone through many of these same emotions myself, I could relate to Peter and sympathize with his character. I think this would be an excellent book for any young person who is questioning their sexuality to read.


3 / 75 books. 4% done!

No comments: